Helping students remain enrolled
The Stay Mason Student Support Fund assists matriculated George Mason students who are at risk of not continuing their education due to unexpected financial situations. The fund is for all students – undergraduate and graduate, full-time and part-time – enrolled in degree-seeking programs.
The Stay Mason Student Support Fund is designed to provide temporary, short-term, financial assistance to students who are managing demanding academic requirements while struggling with debilitating financial circumstances. The Stay Mason Student Support Fund is not intended to provide ongoing relief for recurring expenses, and the financial assistance is not a loan that is expected to be repaid.
Complete and submit the online application below. Applications will be reviewed by the Stay Mason Student Support Fund Committee. Decisions made by the Stay Mason Student Support Fund Committee are final.
To qualify for the Stay Mason Student Support Funding, you must meet the following criteria:
- Have been admitted as a student at George Mason University in a degree-seeking program;
- Have completed at least 12 credit hours of coursework at George Mason University in their degree-seeking program;
- Be enrolled or eligible to be enrolled during the semester for which the funding is being requested (no academic or conduct suspensions, or full academic withdrawals);
- Provide necessary supporting documentation, as it may be required by the university;
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress as outlined in George Mason University’s policy*;
- Attend and participate fully in a no-cost financial literacy program, provided by the university, as requested by the committee.
In addition, applications will not be considered until the student has exhausted all other sources of financial assistance, including all subsidized and unsubsidized loans. Students not eligible for financial aid are welcome to apply.
*Satisfactory Academic Progress requires that undergraduate students maintain a 2.0 GPA and a 67% completion rate, and that graduate students maintain a 3.0 GPA and a 67% completion rate. For more information please review the policy at: https://www2.gmu.edu/admissions-aid/financial-aid/eligibility/satisfactory-academic-progress-policy
There is no guarantee that funding will be available for any given semester and the university may discontinue this funding at any time. The Stay Mason Student Support Fund is not meant to provide long-term or full tuition relief. Students can be granted aid up to a maximum of three times. Priority will be given to students whose continued enrollment at George Mason University may be at risk because of unexpected and unforeseen events or expenses.
The number of students who can be served by the Stay Mason Student Support Fund is subject to the availability of funds. The fund may be sustained by continual contributions from alumni, parents, faculty, staff and friends of the university.
Please allow for 6-8 weeks for processing.
For more information about the fund or the status of your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-993-3686.