Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence

If the assault just occurred:

  • Make sure you are in a safe place.
  • If you do not feel safe and need immediate police or medical assistance, call 911.  Police can also take you to the hospital or meet you there.
  • On campus, call 703-993-2810 to be connected to University Police.
  • 24-hour Sexual and Intimate Partner Violence Crisis Line: 703-380-1434. Contact someone who can help you: a friend, the police, Student Support and Advocacy Center – any or all of the above. You can reach SSAC at any time by calling our 24-hour Sexual and Intimate Partner Violence Crisis Line: 703-380-1434.
  • Get medical attention at a hospital emergency room right away. You do not have to report the incident to the police to be seen in the emergency room or to have an evidence-gathering exam.
  • Seek medical help whether or not you want to report the incident. You may have injuries you are not aware of, and a doctor can help you do what you can to prevent pregnancy or sexually transmitted infections (STIs). For more details about all of your medical options please click here.
  • Do not shower, drink or eat, douche, or change your clothes. These activities destroy important physical evidence in the event that you decide to prosecute the assailant.
  • As soon as you have a quiet moment, write down everything that you remember happening, with as much detail as possible. This will help with your own healing process and in any legal action you might decide to take.
  • Remember the assault was not your fault.

If the assault occurred some time ago:

You may just now be realizing that your experience was unwanted or may finally be ready to call the experience a sexual assault. Even if the incident did not take place recently, you still have options. Consider seeking medical attention. You may still need treatment of physical symptoms.