What’s happening on October 2nd and 3rd?
It’s our biggest Signature Event — the semesterly Career Fair! It’s large, it’s noisy, and there are thousands of people. In short, it’s exciting!
Mason students: this will tell you how to prepare and where to find helpful resources.
If you’re a Mason Faculty or Staff member and want to help your students get the most out of the upcoming Career Fair, keep reading!
Part 1 of 2 – Prepare before the Career Fair
If you want to impress employers (which is always a good thing), here’s how you do it in four steps:
1: Suit up!
Wear a suit or the best professional attire you can get. Leave the jeans, t-shirts, baseball caps, and mini-skirts at home. For both guys and girls, make sure your clothes are clean and well-kept.
Take a look at the list of attending employers and find at least 10 employers you want to talk to. Find out who they are, what they do, and what jobs or internships they usually have available.
3: Brand yourself
Practice telling who you are, what your strengths and skills are, and why you’re interested in a particular organization. Practice makes you seem much more ready and confident.
4: Bring your paper
Bring a few copies of your (error-free) resume. Not every employer will want resumes, but being able to produce whatever an employer wants on-demand is definitely impressive. And, we can help you make a great resume.
What it’s all about
Career fairs are basically all about first impressions. Proper preparation is very impressive to employers because, frankly, not everyone bothers to prepare.
Over the past few years, Mason students have actually gotten a lot better at preparing – and it shows. We get comments about it, and our surveys tell us it’s working.
So, it’s important to keep up the good work!
Part 2: Resources to help you prepare
- Visit our website for information and easy-to-use resources to help you prepare.
- Check out our Resources page for a suite of other tools. For example, Interview Stream can help you practice how to talk with employers.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more preparation tips.
- Search online for info about how to prepare for a career fair – we’re not the only authority on how to prepare.
- Call us to make an appointment with a Career Services Career Counselor or Industry Advisor.
Faculty or Staff members
- You can go to our Faculty page for a bunch of resources to help you get your students prepared. We’ve got a short video, brief PowerPoint presentation, a list of preparation events, and a lot more.
- We’re always available to work directly with you.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. We frequently post preparation tips, career advice, and informative articles.
By the way,
The Career Fair is on October 2nd and 3rd in Dewberry Hall, located in the JC, from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm both days. The first day celebrates interdisciplinary education by featuring more STEAM employers (science, tech, engineering, arts, math), and the second day features more general business and non-tech employers. We encourage attendees to visit both days.
We have several other events too, many which feature employers. Check our event calendar if you’re interested in jobs, internships, and career exploration.