Due to the impact of the Coronavirus/COVID-19 outbreak, University Life has established a process for students seeking temporary, short-term, financial assistance.
Funding is available to students who meet the eligibility criteria outlined below, and is made possible by the generous support of George Mason University and donors committed to helping students succeed.
To qualify for funding, students must meet the following criteria:
- Currently enrolled as a degree-seeking full-time or part-time undergraduate or graduate student at George Mason University;
- Experiencing unexpected financial hardship resulting from the coronavirus/COVID-19 outbreak
Examples of Expenses Covered by Coronavirus/COVID-19 Emergency Funding :
- Emergency medical and dental expenses
- Technology/equipment needed to ensure continuity of online learning
- Travel expenses
- Homelessness or sudden loss of housing
- Overdue utility bills reaching a turn-off notice
- Loss of childcare
- Health insurance
- Tuition and fees related only to the fulfillment of payment plans for the spring 2020 semester
- Other financial needs arising from individual and/or special circumstances to be determined on a case-by-case basis
Examples of Expenses Not Covered by Coronavirus/COVID-19 Emergency Funding:
- Anticipated expenses beyond spring 2020 semester
- Legal fines or expenses
- Non-essential personal bills
- Parking tickets, library fines, or other expenses mistakenly incurred
- Funds for the replacement of lost or stolen items
Additional Items to Note
- Due to the fact that limited funding is available, requests made for expenses beyond the spring 2020 semester will not be considered
- Students may only receive funds once via this application
- Funds awarded do not need to be repaid, however, they may be subject to federal taxes.
- Funds awarded could be disbursed in one of the following ways: check made payable to a student, Visa gift card, deposit to a student’s account at George Mason University, etc. The nature of the request will dictate how funding will be disbursed directly to the student.
Complete and submit the online application below. Applications will be reviewed by a committee of staff in University Life. Decisions will be communicated to students via email within five business days of submission.
Questions about this application or the emergency funding available can be directed to University Life at firstname.lastname@example.org.