UL Gives Back 2014 was a great day of service for UL and area agencies and organizations. We were able to volunteer at 18 different sites/agencies in Arlington, Fairfax, and Manassas.
A few of the “highlights” from the day’s 18 service projects with 189 registered participants:
- 65 animal blankets and 7 dog pull toys made for Maddie’s Blanket to be donated to area animal shelters
- 18 children’s blankets for Project Linus to be donated to area children who are ill or traumatized
- Full truck bed full of bags of garbage extracted from the water at Sandy Run Regional Park which removed harmful contaminants from the reservoir that serves as Fairfax County’s drinking water source
- 40 beautiful paintings for the halls of the area shelters
- Cards for military service men and women (too many to count!)
- Medical mask straps for St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital
- SO many weeds pulled, mulch laid, veggies planted, plants cared for in the Potomac Heights Garden
- 1491 aluminum can pull tabs (1 lb. 7 oz) donated to Ronald McDonald House when we did our project hours on site. Vice President Pascarell’s and the Provost Office collected 921 with LEAD as the University Life unit “winner”
- Laughing children who had some new play mates and helpers at the Child Development Center
- Hard work cleaning and repairing facilities at the Fairfax Humane Society farm
- The EDGE Piedmont Trail clean up and educational visit helping along the trail
- Two car loads of donations to the Kathryn Hanley Shelter Home delivered by the volunteers for that project
- One ton of potatoes bagged for warehouse clients and facilitated food pick up station at the Arlington Food Assistance Center
- 1303 lbs of food and pantry items organized at Our Daily Bread in Fairfax
- Unloaded, moved, and sorted over a thousand pounds of food at the SERVE Food Distribution Center in Manassas
- Many more moments and contributions that will make ripple effects in the community!
What a day — and that is our contribution in just a few hours!
Thank you to all those able to participate and give back. It was a great day for our UL team and community helping others in the area. Special thanks to the planning team: Jessica Adamsn, Marcel Assink, Connie Benson, Charvis Campbell, Susan Johnson, Alissa Karton, Dolores Peck, Hortense Rascoe, Lisa Snyder, and Sarah Wesolowski-Williamson. Also want to extend special thanks to those who agreed to be service project coordinators for the program: Jessica Adams, Charvis Campbell, Sue Czarnetzky, Kara Danner, Emilie Dubert, Rosanna Duran, Jana Fryman, Colby Grant, David Heath, Raechel Hester, Susan Johnson, Alissa Karton, Anchal Khanna, Sarah Litowich, Hortense Rascoe, Bob Spousta, and Mary Ann Sprouse. We are grateful for your generosity in sharing your time and talents to the program.