We hope your online classes are going well and that you are staying safe and healthy during this time. We recognize that collecting your belongings and moving out have been heavily on your mind and we appreciate your patience through this evolving process. We have created a flexible move-out process that allows students two move-out options in an effort to accommodate varying needs. Students must select their option by June 1st.
Students can enter the Housing Portal and select their option as soon as their assigned timeslot opens and will be able to complete and submit the form until close of business on June 1st.
May 1st at 9:00am = Adams, Amherst, Blue Ridge, Brunswick, Carroll, Commonwealth
May 1st at 9:30am= Dickenson, Dominion, Eastern Shore, Essex, Franklin, Grayson
May 1st at 10:00am= Hampton Roads, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson
May 1st at 10:30am= Kennedy, Liberty Square, Lincoln
May 1st at 11:00am= Madison, ACGC, Monroe, Northern Neck
May 1st at 11:30am= Potomac Heights
May 1st at 12:00pm= Piedmont, Rogers, Roosevelt
May 1st at 12:30pm= Sandbridge, Taylor, Tidewater
May 1st at 1:00pm= Townhouses, Truman, Washington, Whitetop, Wilson
- Beginning on May 1st students will be able to login to the Housing Portal to select a two-hour timeslot between June 10th-30th to remove their belongings and complete the move-out process. Only one student in a room/suite/apartment will be allowed to move-out at a time.
- Housing and Residence Life will not issue green bins for the move-out process. Students are encouraged to bring their own hand trucks and dollies to assist with the move-out process.
- Students are allowed to bring one guest to assist with the move-out process and are required to wear face coverings during the move out process. Face coverings will not be provided by HRL.
- Students are expected to remove all personal items and trash within their rooms. Housekeeping will deep clean all spaces after students complete move out.
- Should a student not be able to come and pick up their belongings in person, a proxy may be designated to pick up belongings. The proxy should also be provided with an inventory of the belongings to be packed. Students utilizing the proxy option will need to select a move-out time that falls between Monday-Friday.
- Students will be provided a parking pass to utilize in the event they or their guest do not have a Mason pass. The parking pass should be displayed while the student is completing the move out process.
- Please note that students who miss their appointment should contact email@example.com for assistance. It is not guaranteed that students will receive a new appointment time and may be required to participate in the full-service move out option.
- Housing will identify an approved moving company to pack up and store the belongings of students that are not able to or are not comfortable with returning to campus to finish the move out process.
- Students who select this option will have their belongings packed up and stored in a facility located in Springfield, VA.
- Students will need to complete an online inventory of their belongings, both in their room and any common areas of the assigned space.
- Students will be responsible for covering the cost of this move. Estimates for moving expenses will be approximately $700 which includes packing, moving, and storage. Students are responsible for any fees associated with shipping or retrieving their items directly from the facility.
- Students will be responsible for contracting directly with the selected company by June 10th in order to have their belongings packed after all other students have moved out. If the student does not complete the contract with the moving company then the students’ belongings will be packed and moved for them by the selected moving company. Housing is not responsible for any damages or losses that may occur with the move.
- Should a student have their belongings returned to campus for move-in and not pick up their belongings, Housing and Residence Life will retain the student’s belongings at an additional storage cost of $300 for 120 days. If the belongings are not claimed within 120 days, then the items will be disposed of for the student.
- Students who do not select an option by 5:00pm on June 1st will have their belongings packed and stored at their expense.
- The anticipated expense per student is $700 for packing and storing student’s belongings, but could be higher dependent upon how many students select the full-service move option.
- Housing and Residence Life is not responsible if any items are damaged or go missing during this process and as such, students who do not select an option are encouraged to work with their own insurance agency to obtain full value coverage for their belongings.
- Should a student not pick up their belongings when they have been returned to campus, Housing and Residence Life will retain the student’s belongings at an additional storage cost of $300 for 120 days.
- If you have already removed all of your personal belongings and do not need to utilize any of the options outlined above, please be sure to complete the Express Check-Out Form in the Housing Portal by June 1st.
- If you have already completed this form, no additional actions are needed.
- Students who may have moved out, but have not filled out the Express Check-Out form may be charged for belonging removal if items are not claimed prior to the moving company process
- If a student has completely moved out but has not returned their hard keys to HRL, they should be mailed to the following address and include the student’s name and G# (Mason ID or copy of ID not necessary). Students will have until June 30th to return these keys before a charge will be issued to their student account.
Housing and Residence Life
4400 University Dr., MS 5C7
Fairfax, VA 22030