Work for UL
University Life is one of the largest employers of students at Mason with 1500+ positions available for undergraduate and graduate students! Whether you are looking for a position within the division or want to learn how your current position can help you to become career ready, we have you covered with the resources below.
How do I find a student job within the division?
Handshake is Mason’s one stop shop for job and internship information. To access Handshake, visit careers.gmu.edu/handshake and follow the login instructions. In addition to Handshake, you can visit the webpage of the office you are interested in to see if they have any application information available. We encourage you to take advantage of the resume review and interview preparation resources available at University Career Services to assist in making your application materials strong so you can put your best foot forward.
I was just hired into an office within the division, now what?
Working within University Life is a great first step in developing the skills employers are looking for. To make the most of your experience with us, we recommend you do the following.
Meet with your Supervisor to discuss the University Life Student Employee Rubric
You will develop a lot of great skills by working for University Life and the Student Employee Rubric allows you to get feedback on your growth in the following areas:
- Communication (Verbal Communication, Written Communication, Attentive Listening)
- Self-Awareness (Strengths Development, Professional Presence, Personal Accountability and Professionalism )
- Work Ethic (Time Management)
- Problem Solving
- Working with Others (Collaboration and Teamwork, Developing Others)
Get Career Ready
Being a student employee allows you to develop the 8 career readiness competencies Mason employers are seeking. Review University Career Services’ Career Readiness Guide for tools to shine as a student employee!
Also, consider checking out these online videos from Lynda.com to help you build your skills in your role. To access these videos, select “Log-in” in the upper right corner, then select “Sign in with Your Organization” and enter “Lynda.gmu.edu”. You will be prompted to enter your Patriot Pass credentials to view the material.
- Business Writing Fundamentals
- Presentation Fundamentals
- Customer Service over the Phone
- Customer Service Fundamentals
Critical Thinking/Problem Solving
Information Technology Application
- PowerPoint 2016 Essential Training
- Excel 2016 Essential Training
- Word 2016 Essential Training
- Publisher 2016 Essential Training
- Blackboard 9.x Essential Training for Students
Sign up for the Patriot Experience
University Life’s Patriot Experience provides the framework for a co-curricular learning model that provides students with opportunities to deepen their Mason experience and enhance their classroom, co-curricular, and experiential learning. By joining the Patriot Experience, you are able to capture your involvement around four co-curricular areas, resulting in a comprehensive record of your learning in these areas.
- Career Readiness
- Civic Learning and Community Engagement
- Global and Multicultural Competency
For more information, visit The Patriot Experience.