Your safety is a top priority at George Mason University. We have taken a consistent and unwavering stance against sexual discrimination, sexual harassment, and sexual misconduct. Through our statements and actions, together we have pledged to eradicate sex discrimination on our campuses and ensure a safe environment where all members of our community can thrive.
In recent months, we have stepped up our efforts to prevent sexual and interpersonal violence. The university has added additional resources to its Title IX office. In addition to recruiting Angela Nastase, JD, as Mason’s Title IX Coordinator, the university has hired two new Title IX investigators and will hire a Title IX Intake Coordinator in the coming months. Once complete, we will have doubled the staff of the Title IX office since last academic year.
The goal of the Title IX office is to foster a space for Mason community members to report incidents of sexual misconduct and provide an equitable and fair resolution process when Title IX matters are reported. The Title IX office’s current priorities are increased training and outreach, reduction of investigative timelines, continued strong collaboration with student organizations, and leadership and participation on the University’s Sexual Assault and Interpersonal Violence Taskforce.
Also, in addition to the support resources that already exist (see below), the Student Support and Advocacy Center and Counseling and Psychological Services are in the process of hiring and providing additional on-site staff at the Arlington Campus.
If you haven’t already and you would like to take Mason’s Pledge to End Sexual Violence, you can do so online at chapternext.gmu.edu or at the upcoming event, “Chapter Next: Ending Sexual Violence,” on Monday, Nov. 4 from 4-6 p.m. in HUB Ballroom. The event is a call for action to eradicate sexual violence in all its forms.
Mason remains fully committed to sustaining a community free from sexual assault/harassment.
Julian R. Williams, Vice President of Compliance, Diversity and Ethics
Rose B. Pascarell, Vice President for University Life
INFORMATION ABOUT SEXUAL VIOLENCE AND SEXUAL VIOLENCE PREVENTION ON CAMPUS
Members of the Mason community are encouraged to report all crimes and suspicious persons or incidents, however minor, to Mason Police immediately at (703) 993-2810 or 9-1-1 (for Mason Korea, call 1-1-9).
ON-CAMPUS CONFIDENTIAL RESOURCES AND SERVICES
Options for seeking support without putting the University on notice to investigate the incident:
- *Student Support and Advocacy Center (SSAC): Provides students impacted by sexual assault, dating/domestic violence, and stalking with a confidential space to receive support and discuss reporting options and living and academic accommodations. During business hours call 703-993-3686. For the 24-Hour Sexual and Intimate Partner Violence Crisis Line call 703-380-1434, or http://ssac.gmu.edu/
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS): During business hours call 703-993-2380, during non-business hours or for life-threatening emergencies call Mason Police at 703-993-2810 or 9-1-1, or http://caps.gmu.edu/
- *Student Health Services: During business hours call 703-993-2831, during non-business hours call the free after-hours nurse 703-993-2831, during emergencies call 9-1-1, or http://shs.gmu.edu/
- *Mason Korea Health Services / Sexual Offense Services: During business hours call 032-626-0553, for the 24-hour Sexual and Intimate Partner Violence Crisis Line call 032-626-1366, during emergencies call 1-1-9, http://www.igc.or.kr/en/campus/health.do
* Certain incidents that occur on or near campus are recorded for federal statistics purposes without any identifying information (e.g., names, initials, contact information, etc.).
ON-CAMPUS NON-CONFIDENTIAL RESOURCES AND SERVICES
Options for seeking support and putting the University on notice to investigate the incident:
- Title IX Coordinator: Protects any person from sex-based discrimination, including sexual violence. Call 703-993-8730 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, or go tohttps://diversity.gmu.edu/sexual-misconduct
- Office of Student Conduct: 703-993-6209, http://studentconduct.gmu.edu/
- Office of Housing & Residential Life: 703-993-2720, http://housing.gmu.edu/
- Employee Relations: 703-993-3878, http://hr.gmu.edu/emp_relations/
OFF-CAMPUS CONFIDENTIAL RESOURCES AND SERVICES
- Virginia Family Violence & Sexual Assault Hotline: Call 24-hour hotline/helpline 800-838-8238, Confidential Text Messaging: 804-793-9999, Monday-Friday 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network (RAINN): Call 24-hour hotline/helpline 800-656-HOPE (4673), https://www.rainn.org