In Addition to Our Words: A Letter from VP Rose Pascarell
I was outraged when I saw the video of George Floyd’s murder. I’ve struggled with meaningful words this weekend. The imperative for racial justice is as necessary now as it’s ever been, but I’ve been frustrated by the same messages for change. We’ve been here before. Just last month, I posted a message about the murder of Ahmaud Arbery. Since then, we’ve seen the tragic deaths of Breonna Taylor and Tony McDade, as well as the disproportionate impact COVID-19 has had on black and brown communities. The outrage and pain are palpable. It is evident in the tears and protests occurring across the country. Read the rest of the letter.
Joint message from Anne Holton and Greg Washington
We are going to keep this statement brief. Words are failing all of us in the wake of George Floyd’s murder. When leaders reach for words like outrage, horror, or despair, they only do more damage when they are not matched by action. As James Baldwin once famously said, “I can’t believe what you say, because I see what you do.”
So, no words without action. We are determined to keep George Mason University true to its motto, to be a place of “freedom and learning.” We will take whatever steps are necessary to ensure every member of Mason Nation, and every visitor to our campuses, is safe: physically safe, emotionally safe, culturally safe, and intellectually safe, to become who they want to be. Read the rest of the letter.
Other University Life Unit Statements
- Dear Nighthawk Patriots, Today is a very important day in …Read More »
- This is a time of sorrow, of anger, of introspection, …Read More »
- “I can’t breathe.” Those words resonate strongly for many Black …Read More »
UL: UNITING ACROSS ALL CAMPUSES OF GEORGE MASON UNIVERSITY: Commitment from University Life Arlington and University Life SciTechGeorge Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, Tamir Rice, Philando Castile, …Read More »
- ODIME and LGBTQ Resources asks our community to reflect on …Read More »
- Dear EIP Students, Families, and Friends, In light of recent …Read More »
- UNITING IN SOLIDARITY AND COMMUNITY: LEAD’S COMMITMENT TO LEADING ETHICALLY …Read More »