It has been an extraordinary academic year, one that has challenged all of us—students, faculty, and staff—to learn, teach, and work in ways we may never have expected. Among the many things we now know about our community is that we can count on our support for each other and our resilience in the face of the unexpected.
It is this support and resilience that we call on to address our commitment to each other and our community. Many of you may be aware of a troubling increase around the United States in hate crimes against people of Asian descent. We have not received reports of such incidents on our campuses, but when these types of hate crimes occur, they can make individuals feel unsafe, wherever they may be. The recent incidents have been widely publicized, not only in the U.S, but also in Asia, the Pacific Islands, and other places around the world. One important way to counter these reports is to act firmly against bias and hate.
George Mason University affirms all students, faculty and staff of Asian descent, and we denounce anti-Asian rhetoric and lies that falsely attribute blame for COVID-19. We have been, and are, a community that upholds all of our members – simply stated, you belong here and we support you.
All members of Mason Nation are invited to read the statement by the Center for Culture, Equity and Empowerment to learn how you can support those of Asian descent. Anyone who has witnessed or been the victim of bias may file a report at Mason’s Compliance, Diversity, and Ethics site. We are committed to maintaining an environment that fosters learning, teaching, and the building of community where all can thrive.
Vice President for University Life
Dietra Y. Trent
Interim Vice President for Compliance, Diversity and Ethics, & Special Advisor to the President
- Dear Patriot, We are delighted to invite the Spring 2021 graduating class and all 2020 graduates to the Fairfax Campus Read MoreRead More »
- Mason Nation, It has been an extraordinary academic year, one that has challenged all of us—students, faculty, and staff—to learn, Read MoreRead More »
- Welcome to Mason and welcome to University Life! As a member of Mason Nation, you are part of this special Read MoreRead More »
- Dear Parents and Families, In just a few days the Spring 2021 semester will start, and soon students will return to Read MoreRead More »
- Dear Mason Families, The first week of classes of the Fall 2020 semester has arrived, and we are excited to Read MoreRead More »
- Dear Patriots, This is (still) my favorite time of year. Our campus is reinvigorated with the return of students who Read MoreRead More »
- COVID-19 might appropriately be called the “One World Virus,” underscoring our shared destiny. The global pandemic has triggered the ultimate Read MoreRead More »
A co-authored message from Rose Pascarell, VP of University Life and Amy Takayama-Pérez, Dean of AdmissionsGeorge Mason University is aware of objections by some members of our community to the admission of a student whose Read MoreRead More »
- I was outraged when I saw the video of George Floyd’s murder. I’ve struggled with meaningful words this weekend. The imperative Read MoreRead More »
- Dear Patriots, As we continue to work through options for Fall 2020 campus operations, your voice is important! In April, a Read MoreRead More »
- Ahmaud Arbery should be celebrating his 26th birthday. Instead, due to his senseless murder, we grieve with his family, his Read MoreRead More »
- UPDATE: The RAC is closed March 16-22. Patriots, Thanks for hanging in there. Though this week was filled with uncertainties Read MoreRead More »
- Dear Mason Families, I hope you are all doing well during this challenging time. I’m sure by now you’ve read Read MoreRead More »
- Dear Patriots, Welcome back from break! We hope you are energized and ready for Spring 2020. The Mason student experience Read MoreRead More »
- Dear Patriots, Your safety is a top priority at George Mason University. We have taken a consistent and unwavering stance against Read MoreRead More »
- (originally posted in the Mason Family Flash) Dear Parents and Family Members, As we start the fall semester, the question Read MoreRead More »
- Yesterday’s shooting on the University of North Carolina at Charlotte campus, leaving two dead and several injured, is a tragic Read MoreRead More »
- George Mason University joins the nation in mourning the loss of eleven lives this past weekend during a senseless act Read MoreRead More »
- Dear Parents and Family Members, As we start the fall semester, the question I hear most often as parents and Read MoreRead More »
- Dear Mason Family Members, As I look out my window at the soon-to-be-open Peterson Family Health Sciences Hall and reflect Read MoreRead More »