Welcome to Mason and welcome to University Life! As a member of Mason Nation, you are part of this special and wonderful community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni. I hope you will explore all that the campus community has to offer. Your contributions are unique, allowing you to enrich Mason in a way that no one else can. Don’t be afraid to step forward and find your place here.
Whether you attend as an undergraduate or graduate; full-time or part-time; online or in-person; the first in your family to go to college; a returning student after a several-year break; or some combination of that, we are ready to help you succeed here.
Your choices will define your Mason experience. Be curious and take risks. Don’t stop learning when class ends – the learning opportunities that take place outside of class are equally interesting. Take advantage of the entire Mason experience so you can discover what you are truly passionate about doing in (and for) the world. There are hundreds of ways to get involved and make your mark! Find the ones that suit your interests and strengths.
University Life measures its success on the support for and success of our students. Please take advantage of the resources, direct services, and programs offered. Take part in the Patriot Experience — participate in the many co-curricular opportunities designed to increase career readiness skills, develop global/multicultural proficiency, encourage civic engagement, and discover your own strengths and increase wellbeing. I invite you to check out all the resources available at University Life!
Each of us shares a responsibility for creating the community in which we live. As an institution of higher education, we commit ourselves to creating a climate where students, faculty, staff, and community members can explore concepts and ideas with openness and respect. Our university mission – ‘We are an inclusive academic community committed to creating a just, free, and prosperous world’ – guides our work and affords opportunities for you to express yourself and explore your beliefs.
As a Mason student, I hope you are academically challenged both in the classroom and through your presence and interactions in our diverse campus community. We are here to help you achieve your goals and aspirations.
And if you see me walking across campus (which I do several times daily), stop and let me know how you’re doing. Have fun, stay safe, and have a great semester!
Rose Pascarell, Vice President for University Life
- Dear Mason Families, The first week of classes of the Fall 2020 semester has arrived, and we are excited to Read MoreRead More »
- Dear Patriots, This is (still) my favorite time of year. Our campus is reinvigorated with the return of students who Read MoreRead More »
- COVID-19 might appropriately be called the “One World Virus,” underscoring our shared destiny. The global pandemic has triggered the ultimate Read MoreRead More »
A co-authored message from Rose Pascarell, VP of University Life and Amy Takayama-Pérez, Dean of AdmissionsGeorge Mason University is aware of objections by some members of our community to the admission of a student whose Read MoreRead More »
- I was outraged when I saw the video of George Floyd’s murder. I’ve struggled with meaningful words this weekend. The imperative Read MoreRead More »
- Dear Patriots, As we continue to work through options for Fall 2020 campus operations, your voice is important! In April, a Read MoreRead More »
- Ahmaud Arbery should be celebrating his 26th birthday. Instead, due to his senseless murder, we grieve with his family, his Read MoreRead More »
- UPDATE: The RAC is closed March 16-22. Patriots, Thanks for hanging in there. Though this week was filled with uncertainties Read MoreRead More »
- Dear Mason Families, I hope you are all doing well during this challenging time. I’m sure by now you’ve read Read MoreRead More »
- Dear Patriots, Welcome back from break! We hope you are energized and ready for Spring 2020. The Mason student experience Read MoreRead More »
- Dear Patriots, Your safety is a top priority at George Mason University. We have taken a consistent and unwavering stance against Read MoreRead More »
- (originally posted in the Mason Family Flash) Dear Parents and Family Members, As we start the fall semester, the question Read MoreRead More »
- Yesterday’s shooting on the University of North Carolina at Charlotte campus, leaving two dead and several injured, is a tragic Read MoreRead More »
- George Mason University joins the nation in mourning the loss of eleven lives this past weekend during a senseless act Read MoreRead More »
- Dear Parents and Family Members, As we start the fall semester, the question I hear most often as parents and Read MoreRead More »
- Dear Mason Family Members, As I look out my window at the soon-to-be-open Peterson Family Health Sciences Hall and reflect Read MoreRead More »
- August 2017 Dear Parents, We are looking forward to welcoming your sons and daughters to George Mason University this week. Read MoreRead More »
- I hope you’ve all had a chance to read President Cabrera’s message to the community — if you haven’t, please Read MoreRead More »
- Dear Patriots, As you wind down the Spring semester, and prepare for finals, final projects and presentations, we want you Read MoreRead More »
- February 1, 2017 “It is now more important than ever that we continue to be an example of civility Read MoreRead More »